Tuesday, May 12, 2015

New moms need chick registry


I am going to be a new mother in a few weeks, but not in the traditional sense of the word. My babies are going to fit in the palm of my hand, cheep and arrive in a box from the U.S. Postal Service. This delivery won't even require a dramatic entrance into an emergency room or me screaming for an epidural.

Unfortunately, I have not been blessed with children of my own. I have only been a mother to those who are a little on the furry side and have feathers. Some would say that I'm not a mother, but I would disagree. Like other mothers, I would do anything for my children. I have taken care of them when they're sick, comforted them when they're scared and most of all, loved them. So, you see, I am a mother too.

I bought a baby gift recently, which got me thinking. Why aren't there baby registries for every mother out there? Come on, doesn't a chick registry sound unbelievably cute?

I think this would be an awesome idea for farm-supply stores. Soon-to-be chick parents could use a scanner and pick out everything imaginable they would need for their new brood. Why shouldn't all mothers join in the fun? We get the nesting feeling too.

First and foremost on my list would be heat lamps. Instead of soft, warm baby blankets, my chicks would need nice warm heat lamps to keep them cozy and warm.

And instead of a crib, my chicks would need a brooder. A brooder simply consists of a cardboard wall encircling these yellow balls of fluff under the heat lamp. So, I would need one or two cardboard boxes wrapped up in a pretty pink package.

Another gift I could use would be a small thermometer, which would be placed inside the brooder. You have to watch the temperature very carefully when using the heat lamps. You want the chicks warm – not fried.

In addition to these items, I would also need a bale or two of pinewood shavings to cover the floor inside the brooder. Little chicks need to feel comfortable too. Just think of this as the mattress inside a real crib.

Since most new mothers get a multitude of bottles, I would definitely mark down a 1-gallon waterer for my chicks. Well, let's splurge a little bit and ask for two. Heh, it's not like I'm asking for a breast pump or anything.

Instead of formula or the inevitable breast pump, I would need some chick starter, which is like baby food for chicks, and Quik Chik, which is like formula. Quik Chik is a powder, which is rich in electrolytes and vitamins. Every mother wants her chick to get off to the right start.

A chick registry list would not be complete without a few oddball items such as a radio and maybe a few storybooks. A radio comes in very handy. Not only does it help keep critters away at night, but it can be very soothing for them and for me. Since I spend a lot of time in the coop just looking at my chicks the first week, the radio is nice for me to listen to. As far as the storybooks go, well, that would be on my baby registry list if I had a baby. I will just have to read “Goodnight Moon” to my chicks until that day comes.

Now that I have all of my gifts picked out for my chick registry, I think a really cool chick shower would be the next best thing. I can see it now – pink streamers, pink plastic eggs decorating the tables and deviled eggs for appetizers. Now, that would be an awesome party for a new chicken mom.







No comments:

Post a Comment