Sunday, June 21, 2015

Chicken memories for life

Emma Lasko pets Chickamina.
The girls and I have had a busy week.

There is always a lot of fanfare when the new little girls come to Klucker Farms. Who can pass up seeing a cute chick? My friends Scott and Christina Levine brought their two children, Phoebe, and Emmett, out to the see the girls a week ago. Phoebe was a seasoned veteran. She had been here two years ago. And Emmett, well, he was still in the womb.
I took the kids out back and had them greet the older chickens first. I asked Phoebe if she remembered coming two years ago and, sure enough, she did. I said, “These are those same chicks all grown up.” It's amazing how time flies.

I showed the kids how much the girls love eating grass. So, we threw in a bunch for them to eat. Emmett got a huge kick out of the chickens. What an awesome little chicken farmer he would be.
After saying “Hi” to the old girls, we proceeded into the new coop to see the chicks. The girls did really well since the only visitors have been me, my parents and husband. I put some feed in the palm of my hand to get the girls' attention, which helped get them a little closer to me and the kids. The girls ate right out of Phoebe's hand. I also managed to catch a few to have them pet. Chicks are so fuzzy and cute; therefore, making them irresistible. I am sure Phoebe will remember this visit for years to come.

My friends, Niki and Vic Lasko, came by Friday night with their children to visit the chicks on the last leg of their vacation before returning home. I took the kids over to see the older chickens first. This time I had some wonderful meal worms for the girls to eat. I told my friends' daughter, Emma, to hold out her hand and throw them through the fence to the girls. She was ecstatic with the girls' response to the worms. Meal worms are like candy to chickens. I don't think they sat there 10 seconds before they scooped them up. Emma was having the time of her life and making some of her first chicken memories.
We then proceeded to the main attraction – the little girls. The looks on the kids' faces were priceless. I grabbed some chicks for them to pet, which was the icing on the cake for them. I was amazed when one of my Red Stars stood by Emma to be petted. You didn't have to coax this chick with food; she loved the attention. Talk about a neat experience for Emma to take back home with her.

Before they left, I had to bring out Chickamina, my one and only truly domesticated chicken. Chickamina is unbelievable. I swear she is more like a dog than a chicken. Every night I let her out of the coop to follow me around in the yard. It is absolutely hilarious. This little chicken loves me. I have conditioned Chickamina to run after me to get a cold drink of water from the hose. She will drink right out of the hose if I let her. I also fill a gallon milk jug, which she drinks out of too. This is one spoiled chicken.
I wanted Emma to see this so I went through our nightly routine. Chickamina didn't mind the kids at all. On the contrary, she loved the attention and being petted. Niki and Vic couldn't believe how tame this little 4-pound chicken was. I guess I just have a way with animals – a little like Dr. Doolittle.

Not only was this a busy week, but we had a big first too. It was monumental enough to put in their baby book. Mothers document their child's first steps; I document my girls' first time roosting. A few of my leghorns advanced to the top of the flock by flying up and resting on their roost. It is almost hard to believe something that small could fly so high.
To wrap up the week, my husband installed a camera in the coop so I could watch them from the comfort of my bedroom. I can lay in bed at night and watch my chicks. Who needs cable TV? I sure don't. This still blows my mind.

We made a lot of memories over the last two weeks at Klucker Farms. Four little kids left with some wonderful memories. Memories, that I hope, will last for years to come.





















No comments:

Post a Comment